Thursday, August 21, 2014

Our Newest Family Member

Well, looks as though it's been 5 months...time for another regular blog post!

I like to keep things frequent and timely.

I won't make excuses, I'll just share with you the cuteness that is my #1 excuse.


Exhibit A: 
Savannah Rose
Born July 1 @ 9:45pm
6lbs13oz

She arrived at 39 weeks 2 days gestation, my longest pregnancy! (by one day...but still!) She was also my smallest baby, and quite possibly my longest labor. 

Kinsey's was roughly 24 hours, Makayla's was 8, and Savannah started giving me the pains about 36 hours before she was born.

We actually headed to triage the evening before she was born, I had been contracting all day and since I was Strep B positive again I wanted to arrive early enough to get both rounds of antibiotics. Makayla's labor had been so quick that I didn't receive both rounds, and she ended up with a high WBC count and a 3 day NICU stay for treatment. I wanted to avoid that at all costs this time around!

So we jumped the gun, I was barely dilated and not progressing so they sent me home to rest. 

Fun fact- the triage nurses and midwives all said that they see the most 'false labor' trips to triage with third babies. Who would have thought, right? 

I won't bore you with all the details of the next 24 hours, but they involved lots of walking, plenty of questioning whether my water had broken or not, a couple google searches on how to speed labor up and then an eventual mad dash to get the second round of antibiotics in so I could push!

About an hour before delivery, in between contractions I was still smiling!

Thank goodness for my midwife...who realized I was going to be ready to push soon and didn't leave my side. She looked the nurse in the eye and said "lets start those antibiotics early....it's okay to fudge the numbers a bit in this case" ha. I was screaming at them to push those meds full blast into me, I didn't care how much it might have burned...I was soooooo ready to push! 

Did I mention I had my third natural delivery?

Also good to note...my husband is an awesome labor coach. The best. I couldn't have had any of my babies naturally if it wasn't for his mad skills at keeping me focused and calm. 

Anyhow, about 2 minutes after the antibiotics were finished I made one big push and Savannah was born! 

About 10 minutes old
My first words were "She's SO TINY!" 

I was honestly worried about how small she was, I thought something was wrong until I realized that I just forgot how small newborns are! 

Proud daddy...again :)

So even though we got the antibiotics in, we still ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days post delivery. Savannah and I have a different blood type, making her more prone to jaundice, and she required 36 hours under the bili lights for good measure. It was hard to see her under there and only be allowed to only hold my sweet newborn once every 3 hours for 30 minutes. But it was much, much, much preferable to the NICU stay we had with Makayla. 
Big sisters meeting Savannah for the first time!
Our family finally came together again on July 4th, when we brought Savannah home to a house full of family and friends, a BBQ, and some awesome fireworks viewing from our backyard. 
First family of 5 picture!
Over the last 7 weeks we have been adjusting to our new normal. Having a newborn, a toddler and now a kindergartner (!!!) has left my head spinning most days, but I'm starting to feel a little more in control with each new day.

I'm just a sleep deprived mom zombie just trying to enjoy every moment of this chaotic and beautiful life with three awesomely crazy littles. 

Life is good. 


I'll try and post again soon...no promises, though.

1 comment:

  1. Even though being one of the Grandparents and knowing what was going on, it was nice to see your pics and blog about your third labor. You are awesome and I love you all!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...