Thursday, August 8, 2013

Makayla's Pink Lemonade Party


Today I'm sharing the details of my youngest daughter's 2nd Birthday Party!

I LOVE throwing parties, 
and always try to make memorable occasions
WITHOUT breaking the bank.

This party was no different, 
I re-used many items from past parties or decor around the house,
 used up scrap fabric I already owned, 
and DIY'd many items for free!
For example, this sign was done for $1- 
using metallic sharpies and chalboard markers I already owned 
and a dollarstore black foam posterboard 
to give the effect of a real chalkboard sign.
(sorry for the poor photo, the sign blew into a puddle and warped before I got a photo of it!)

Next, let's talk about the Dessert Table.
The backdrop is crepe paper streamers tied to string 
(I purchased several different colors for 99 cents each, plus a few for $1.29)
It made quite the visual impact for about $8 total (plus I have plenty leftover for other parties)

The tablecloth is a basic white I already owned (gift from last Christmas)
covered with tulle I had leftover from Kinsey's Princess Party
The pennant was a free DIY I will talk about again later in this post

I used vases I already had, 
along with 2 new glass jars from Marshalls (both under $8 each),
 to display theme related candies. 
Lemonheads, rock candy in pink and yellow, lemon shaped suckers, 
starbursts, lemon and strawberry twizzlers and wafers, and lemon bars
 were all available for guests to enjoy and take home.
My little girl has quite the sweet tooth,
 I have no idea where she got that from, cough, me, cough

I decided to just to cupcakes this year, 
which may or may not have had something to do with a crumbling failed attempt at a cake,
so there were 2 dozen pink lemonade cupcakes 
with lemon buttercream icing and a pink grapefruit candied wedge.

They were delicious, and I'll share my recipe in an upcoming post!

In the backyard we had a 'lemonade stand' set up for guests to serve drinks. 
I love the current trend of using mason jars as cups 
(we use them in our kitchen as glasses daily already)
So I picked up a few more at Costco for $5.99 a case.
Not sure how much longer they will have them so RUN, don't walk if you want them at that price!

The Chevron fabric was a Hobby Lobby purchase (on sale, of course) 
and I have plans to re-use it to re-cover some pillows on my sofa that need a facelift.
I also used washed and de-labeled frappuccino bottles.
Just use a little WD-40 to remove the sticky left from the labels
and some rubbing alcohol to remove the printed 'best by' dates.

Drinking all that coffee certainly helped my productivity in getting this party together ;)

For the littlest of kids I also provided some plastic 'take and toss' cups with lids.

The tented card labels are available for purchase (customized) here, in my Etsy Shop

All the jars and cups had DIY Chalkboard labels
 for writing guests names with a chalkboard marker.
A more detailed post on that DIY to come!

I made up a quick 'keep calm' style sign (available to download for free here
to put into a Hobby Lobby frame I already had,
 and also printed off a free and super cute 'fresh squeezed lemonade' 


The Lemonade sign was a quick project using scrap wood leftover from various projects, 
paint I already had and a couple of nails.
 A nice and easy project that took an hour from start to finish.

Top Left: Mason Jars with DIY Chalkboard Labels and straws from Pick Your Plum.

Top Right: Fabric Scrap pennants made with fabric I already had and leftover ribbon
  (once I ran out of ribbon I just sewed straight through with the thread and left extra on each end to hang it)

Bottom Left: Plastic cutlery wrapped in printed cardstock in a dollar store basket (already had)

Bottom Right: Fresh flowers ($3.99 for all of them) in old glass spaghetti sauce jars


Here's a look at the invitations I made up for the party- they are available in my Etsy shop ModInk Design, along with the party favor thank you tags and Thank You notes


The treat bags contained homemade kool-aid playdoh, in lemonade and pink lemonade,
a few play doh accessories (from $1 bins at Target- 20 per pack),
and a bottle of bubbles, all with custom labels.

Overall it was a great afternoon of playing with friends, 
the kids all enjoyed the mini lemonade stand I quickly made 
with the same black foam poster board attached to an Ikea Lack table.

Thanks to everyone that came!


Did you enjoy this party post? Want to know where something was from or how it was made? Please leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...