Monday, January 4, 2010

Miles, Memories, and Moving

Happy New Year...I hope.

I feel as though this year began on a bad note, maybe not so much bad as unexpected and very much different than I had anticipated. One week ago today my maternal grandfather, Herschel, passed away. He had fallen ill the Sunday after Thanksgiving and after a month long hospital stay involving disease of many of his vital organ systems he was suddenly gone from this world and off to Heaven to join his Saviour. No matter how much time you have to prepare for the inevitable loss of a loved one, it always hurts, but knowing than my grandpa is now walking with the Lord and able to reunite with all the loved ones he lost in his lifetime including his oldest child, Ellen, makes my heart ache a little less. My prayers are now for my Grammy as she adjusts to life without her partner and friend.


The trip was a long one- over 1,000 miles to Coffeeville, Mississippi - and with a 15 month old I was not looking forward to the journey. But with a little help from grandma, uncle and auntie....and mostly Dora, Diego and DJ Lance Rock.....we made it there without a total meltdown.


I wish it didn't take a loss to bring my family together. Too many miles are between us all that we can't seem to connect more than every 5-10 years. My Grammy said it best when she declared that my Grandpa would have really enjoyed this gathering of his family, I only wish he could have been there.


I'm glad we were able to make the journey, Kinsey was able to meet her extended family and the memories of Mississippi and my youth were fun to share with cousins. It's funny what sticks in your head after all those years, but the memories are all wonderful no matter how silly and I'm glad I will always have them to bring me back to those carefree summer days. Kinsey LOVED running around in the yard even though it was pretty chilly. She tried out all of the rocking chairs and the swing on the big southern-style porch. She sat on Grandpa's tractor and beamed with happiness. It really made Roy and I wish we had a yard for her to run around in.
Which brings us to the second part of this post....


Moving.


The Sunday after Christmas we went out for a round of house-hunting with our Realtor and found the perfect house for us! Quiet neighborhood, good schools, 3,500 sq ft., HUGE yard, 5 bedrooms...gotta have room to grow ;o) and best of all it was within our budget and priced to sell at only $60 a sq ft! What a steal!


So what's the problem?


We have a house to sell ourselves...in a bad economy....boo.


Our plans were to get our house on the market by mid-week and put in a contingent offer that same day.


But apparently this wasn't the house for us after all...due to the loss of my Grandad and the journey across 5 states we were not able to get our house listed and place an offer and the house is already under contract.


Everything happens for a reason, I know....yadda yadda yadda.


It still sucks.


So my new year is off to a dismal start, grieving and feeling defeated. Lets hope this is the worst of the year to come.


We love you Grandpa..and will miss you dearly.








1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, and for the house not working out, too :( Sending p&pt your way, Momma! PS.. Kinsey is soooo adorable - I love the pics of her on the swing!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...