Saturday, July 28, 2012

Happy Birthday Makayla!!!


One year ago today, I woke up at 6:50am to the sound of Kinsey calling me from the next room "Mommy! The sun is up! Get UP! Mommy!!!" Not unusual for the start of our day. What was unusual is that I had slept the entire night, no trips to the bathroom, no insomnia, no heartburn at 3 am....I was 39 weeks 1 day pregnant, and any woman who has ever been pregnant knows that sleeping all night is pretty much a thing of the past once you get a positive pregnancy test.

I felt happy and refreshed. I rolled from my left side to my back and placed my hands on my belly, asking the unnamed baby inside "when are you going to decide to come out, baby? We would love to meet you soon, but you come out whenever you are good and ready, okay?"

Then I pulled my pregnant self out of bed and started walking to the bathroom. And then my water broke....

When I entered Kinsey's room I excitedly told her that she was going to be a big sister really, really soon-the big day had arrived and sister was looking like she was ready to be born!

I called Roy to tell him what was going on and then called the Dr, who advised me to head to triage to be checked. I showered, got us both dressed, backed my hospital bags and drove Kinsey and I to the hospital. By this time it was about 9am, and I was having regular contractions about 1 minute long every 6-7 minutes. At triage they gave me the run-around about if my water had really broken, made me wait an eternity since my contractions weren't making me double over in pain, and called my Dr to do a quick ultrasound to check fluid levels. When she checked me at 11am I was only 3cm dilated. By noon Roy had arrived and they were finally going to admit me to Labor and Delivery!

I got into the bed in my room, and GUSH...my water broke again. That cleared up any lingering doubt in their minds...hehe.

I labored for another hour with Kinsey there, and then her Aunt Felisa took her to our house for a nap. I walked and walked, because that was the best way for me to work through contractions. Movement made it better. At 2pm my nurse came and told me she was having to go for an emergency c-section with her other patient, so I was getting a new nurse. I asked her to check me and was at 8cm. At 2:30 we pushed the call button because I wanted to push. The nurse came and said she would get my Dr. The next 20 minutes were the longest of my life....I was using every bit of my willpower to keep from pushing that baby out. Roy was scared to death he was going to have to deliver that baby since no one else was coming! At 2:50pm my Dr walked through the doors, nonchalantly...until she saw me. Let me tell you, she got her gown and gloves on real fast!

 10 minutes later, at 3:01pm we welcomed Makayla Ann into this world.

The nurses exclaimed "Oh My Gosh! She has highlights!!"
Kinsey holding Makayla for the first time

An hour later Kinsey got to meet her little sister for the first time. She was a bit shy, but totally in love.

Meeting the new family member















Makayla actually wasn't named until about 10pm that night. Right as they were taking her away to the NICU because bloodwork showed very high WBC. They asked us if she had a name, and Roy and I both looked at each other and agreed...Makayla. It just fit. 

The next 3 days were hard, as any parent with a baby in the NICU knows, it is very draining emotionally to not have your baby right there by your side 24-7. It's heartbreaking to see wires and tubes attached to their little bodies, and not knowing the future of that precious life is a very difficult idea to process. But, we made it through, and by July 31 she was ready to go home!



Life with two kiddos has been rough and times, but 100% worth it. The reward of seeing those two give kisses, dance or giggle with each other...it makes every single moment of life worth living.
3 months

First Piggy Tails @ 4 months

6 months
9 months

11 months


I can't believe how fast this year has flown by! I know have a walking, talking, dancing little one-year-old!!!We have been through hearing tests, seeing Santa, swimming in the ocean, pools and rivers, having eye surgery, and today...capping off a great first year with a fun party! (more on that to come!)

In her 'Very Hungry Caterpillar' dress

Enjoying her smash cake...rainbow inside!!

Love you little lady! I'm so excited to see you grow and learn each day! xoxo, Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...